Saturday, January 17, 2015

First time with Encaustics



I've always been fascinated with Encaustic painting, but was concerned about the safety of working with hot wax. All the info I found said to have good ventilation, so this week I set up shop outside.


I had read Patricia Baldwin Seggebrush's book Encaustic Painting Techniques: The Whole Ball of Wax, and watched a video of hers, and felt I was ready to give Encaustic painting a try.
I'm so glad I did! I melted the wax on an electric skillet. I loved the way the wax moved with the heat tool. Here's a youtube I found that shows a similar process to what I did intuitively, Moving Encaustics.
Wax is wonderful, I embedded paper and sea glass, I inscribed it, and made it flat and glossy.
Here's what I've done so far, and I can't wait to play some more!
My very first encaustic












1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I love the etherial, marbled effect! xo

    ReplyDelete